I spoke at a business breakfast the other day and, as is my custom, whilst waiting for the event to start I got around meeting people.
I was astonished to find that more than half of the people there didn’t have a business card with them!
And, of the people who did have business cards, many had to ferret long and hard in their bag or wallet to find to one. Then they had to apologise because of its crumpled state or for the phone number they’ve written on it. (It’s great to ring those numbers to find out who they’ve been chatting up… but that’s another story!)
Now remember this, engrave it on the memory stone of your mind…
Your business card is your most important marketing tool!
In your marketing armoury nothing is more important than your business card. After your smile, greeting and handshake its part of the formalities you exchange on meeting someone that will help determine the first impression they have of you. It will also help them retain the memory of you and what you do.
- Always carry them with you everywhere… you meet people with whom you may wish to establish a business relationship everywhere you go. So just because you’re “off duty” doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be carrying your cards.
- Make sure everyone in your business has a card. Its low cost marketing material they can use whenever they meet people that may result in more business.
- Train your team so that they know how to use them. They should offer a card to everyone they meet.
- Proffer cards with a flourish. Do it with some theatre so that people know that your cards are of value. Produce them from a silver card holder, for example, rather than fumbling through your pocket or purse for one.
- Accept other people’s cards with respect so that they know you are interested in them, their card and value it (even if you are going to dump it later!).
- Have a card that is memorable… not one that is boring and bland and doesn’t deserve a second look.
- If your boss doesn’t give you a business card (or company policy doesn’t allow it) get one at your own at your expense. You’ll be amazed how well it works and how soon the investment will come back to you!
Just use this link to get more on business cards and making them memorable!